A premarital agreement is commonly known as a prenuptial agreement or prenup. A prenup is a written contract a couple enters into before marriage that establishes certain guidelines upon divorce or death.
Finding an experienced prenup lawyer who understands the complexities of Iowa divorce laws and family laws is crucial. Our expert family law and prenuptial agreement lawyers can help guide you through the entire process. Prenuptial agreements in Iowa may include provisions related to:
- Property rights and obligations of the parties
- Rights of disposing of, managing, and controlling property
- Property division upon death or divorce
- Making of wills, trusts, and other arrangements to carry out the provisions of the agreement
- The disposition of life insurance death benefits
- Choice of law
- Any other matter not in violation of public policy or a criminal statute
However, certain provisions go against public policy and may not be included in premarital agreements. These provisions can revolve around prohibiting alimony or restricting a child's ability to obtain support. Dickinson Bradshaw's family law attorneys will work with you to draft a prenuptial agreement that is consistent with Iowa law and that will effectively protect your assets and interests.
Whether planning ahead, working through a unique situation, or addressing complex family challenges, Dickinson Bradshaw Law attorneys are here to help. We will take the time to get to know your unique situation and custom tailor a plan to protect your best interests. Contact us or view our locations to find a family law lawyer near you.